Thursday, January 3, 2013

The therapist of my dreams.

I have been waking up in an awesome mood the last few days. When I start reflecting on my dreams I keep remembering things people have said to me in them that are really affirming. It's nothing big. It's just things like "I notice how hard you've been working," or "I like it when you..." A guy could get used to this.

That being said I'm still trying to figure out how dreaming fits in my novel. My comatose character (Shauna) connects to her husband (Jeff) while listening to his "reality" show outside of her "dream." Jeff connects to Shauna in the dreamlike state of running and through his actual dreams. It's this last part that has been tricky for me. I don't want to overdo the scenes in his dreams because I know it can end up disjointed from the book. Also I have read in many a book on writing that dream scenes are a big flat liner for readers. So what do you think? Do you like reading about dreams? If so when do you find them tastefully done? Can you think of examples in books I could look to? Quote them in your responses if you like.