Thursday, November 8, 2012

And when you show comment love...

When you comment, I take it to heart. I have rewritten the scene where my main character's producer tells him why she continues to film him. I've tried to include some of the ideas you've given me to give meaning to her artistic obsession with him.



“Ok, Jeff. You can think whatever you want about me.”
            “It’s not just what I think.”
            “Well I don’t care what the crew thinks either. I know my reasons.”
            “And what benignly artistic reasons are those?” Jeff asked sarcastically with a laugh. He got up and walked to the bathroom.
            “Don’t act like you’re better than me. I’m doing this for the same reasons you are. And maybe a few more,” Salem said slightly louder so her voice would carry into bathroom. She could hear him pissing loud and clear. After the toilet flushed Jeff walked back to the bed, passing up washing his hands.
            “You can spare me the pep talk bullshit. I run whether or not you film it. I’d do this without the cameras. I’d do it without the fame.”
            “I know. That’s why I’m doing this.”
            Jeff sat back against the headboard of the other bed and began flipping channels on the TV.
            “You can stop acting so hard Jeff. I took one look at you and knew you weren’t some driven husband focused on justice and love. You’re scared shitless and you don’t know what the hell you’re doing. This whole annoyed-with-this-show-and-this-running is just your little way of dealing with the fact you’ve been lost from the beginning.”
            Jeff turned her. His expression was hard to read.
            “I worked on the documentary about the Chilean miners who were stuck. You aren’t much different than them. You all were separated from those you loved by some sort of ‘suspended death’ or whatever your writer’s mind would like to describe it as. You all did something superhuman. And you are all incredibly flawed. Those men had mistresses. I won’t even go into everything else that went on. But you’re flawed too. I’m glad you know it. But that’s what makes me film you. You are so flawed…like them…like me. We’re alike in that we’re greedy. I had some time to research you before we met. By the way you write I can tell you want the awards and the money. But the artist in you wants none of it. We’re no better than selfish little adolescents, angst ridden and starry-eyed.” Salem waved her tattooed stump in the air for emphasis.

Jeff forced a scoff before saying, “You are so wrong.”
            “I think you may have just proven me right.”
            His only response was to pretend being interested in the last soap opera still being aired.
            “So, rest assured, I’m capturing you quite honestly. I’m not deluded enough to think you’re a superhero. But you are a hero, whether you like it or not. And it’s your flaws that make you that way. Anyone can be courageous when they have no fear. Anyone can have clarity of vision if they aren’t confused. When you run, when you love her, it makes me believe my own flaws won’t destroy me. And if you can make me lose my cynical objectivity about this human race for even just one episode, then you are a hero. It’s you who isn’t being honest. The sooner you accept who you are and what you’ve done, the better we’ll all be. Including Shauna.”
            He looked away from the TV out the window.
            “Ok,” Salem said before seeing herself out.