Friday, December 7, 2012

Save the Sarcasm

Somewhere in my generation we developed sarcasm as an actual form of language. Like Ebonics or Cockney, I realize that it sometimes takes translation to actually understand what our words mean. Most humor is based in sarcasm lately. And, sadly, it even seems intelligence is measured through sarcasm.

This last fact became apparent to me while watching the presidential election. I noticed how media geared toward my generation acted as if more sarcasm made them more appealing. While being a lover of sarcasm as much as the next guy, flippant snipping does not a trustworthy news source make. Like most things in life there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing." Just as much as rampant f-bomb dropping makes us question the intelligence of the speaker, shouldn't pointless sarcasm make us question a speaker's knowledge? Reading all of the press made me realize each side had numerous witty comments without ever really saying a damn thing.

To be frank, this scares me. As said before, I like sarcasm. It's one of my favorite forms of humor. Nothing can kill a joke like telling it too much. What if we kill a whole form of joke telling? I notice little sarcastic remarks hold no weight (or laughs as it were). One must go well over the top. Could this be the sign of end of sarcasm as we know it? It's depressing to think this is just our faddish sign of the times. Couldn't we have done something cooler and less adolescent like sex, drugs, and rock and roll like our parents?

My main character is sarcastic. He doesn't hide behind his sarcasm but rather uses it for what it is intended. I think he's funny. I worry, when reading him, that his subtle wit and biting comments to his friends may be lost on readers. Will they think he is dumb because he doesn't use more sarcasm? Would I really be increasing his honesty and integrity by making his words mean less? Should I make him sarcastic about this topic, turning this social commentary into an attitude of my character? Can you read my sarcasm in these lines? Can you even tell anymore?

Please, people. Save the sarcasm before English come to our country and don't know what the hell we're talking about. Protect this time honored form of humor from extinction.