Sunday, December 16, 2012

Spoiling for a Fight

I've been reading this amazing book called Hellraisers based on the crazy, boozy lives of Richard Burton, Richard Harris, Peter O'Toole and Oliver Reed. Their antics awaken in me nostalgia of college and romping through bar and countryside with some of my besties. Like the wild men in the book, the potential for a fight was always right around the corner for me. Except, I never fought. Not once. Well there was that one time, but he doesn't count. He was little.

It's been really hard to decide if I am proud of this or ashamed. When the term "boys will be boys" comes out, isn't fighting at the top of a list of behaviors it's meant to explain? To make me more confused, I love violent action movies (especially martial arts) yet I work against the glorification of violence. Does this make me eclectic, confused, or a coward?

I read a lot of stuff on masculinity. I find it all fascinating since it puts into words all of the mindless behaviors and senseless rules we men have been enacting for so long. But one thing we men are tied to is our violence. The very act seems to verify not only our masculinity but our very existence (think Fight Club). So what is a guy like me supposed to do when I am right in the middle of being a pacifist with a penchant for pugilism. Say that ten times fast.

When I think of the act of fighting, with me in the fight, it seems sort of childish. At the same time I get excited. It's the kind of excited you felt when you were getting dressed to go out to your first New Year's Eve as a 21 year old. I wonder often how I'd do in a fight. I realize, though, the conditions would have to be similar to the four gentleman above. Which also means I would not remember it anyway.

Let's not and pretend I did, then.